Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Straight Flush

I was playing in a small buy in heads up pot limit omaha tournament recently. I had over a 2-1 chip lead when the following hand came up. I limped in with 6c-8c-4-4. This is certainly not a powerful hand, but you are usually drawing live. I had straight possibilities along with a pair and clubs. I flopped a flush. The flop came 2c-7c-10c. I also had a gutshot straight flush draw. My opponent checked and I checked as well. I usually bet out with weak flushes in omaha, but with my chip lead, I wanted to see if my opponent would make a mistake. I turned the nuts when the 9 of clubs hit. I was now hoping that my opponent also had a flush. My opponent led out and bet and I smooth called. The river was a blank and I knew I held the nuts. With the board not being paired, I figured I wouldn't get much action unless I was up against a flush. My opponent led out at me again and I decided to raise the minimum.

I was surprised when I got reraised. I now knew what I was up against. It became clear that my opponent flopped the ace high flush. His check on the flop and bet on the turn combined with the big reraise of my raise on the river told the story. My only decision was to figure out how to get all of his chips. Making another minimum raise might be a bit too obvious. I raised the pot to put him all in. He called and I won the match.

No comments: