Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Beware of the small blind

You'll often hear tournament players say that you should never go broke with just one pair. The same statement can be applied to a cash game. I was in a $1/$2 no limit hold 'em game and was dealt 3-5 in the small blind. It was an unraised pot with about 5 limpers so, I threw in the extra dollar as I was pretty sure the big blind was not going to raise. 7 of us saw a flop of A-2s-4s. I just flopped the nuts. Normally, I would just check the nuts and let my opponents hang themselves, but in this situation I chose to lead out and bet. I wanted to thin the field and get any flush draws out. I also knew I would get action from anyone holding an ace. The pot was at $14 so I led out with a $10 bet. One of the early limpers called the bet and after a couple of folds, the pot was raised to $30. My read was that the called had a weak ace and that the raiser had the flush draw (and maybe and ace as well). I went ahead and raised all in for about $250. The initial player called me (he only had about $50 more in his stack) and the other player who had about as much as I did folded.

I was up against A-8 and had my opponent dead to runner runner possibilities. The other player confirmed that he held As-Js and that he knew he was behind and knew I wouldn't make that play without the 3-5. Kudos to him for making a good laydown, but I like when players will get overly committed to a pot with a weak hand. In his position, I would have folded the A-8 preflop. The lesson of this story is to not go broke in an unraised pot. Clearly, I held a trash hand, but when it hit, I knew my hand was good and that my opponents were not good enough to get away from one pair.

No comments: