Thursday, April 19, 2007

Quads

If you play poker long enough, you will make your fair share of quads and other strong hands. I once had a session where I made quads twice within 30 minutes and only won about $10 on each hand in my regular $1/$2 no limit hold 'em game. It is widely known that the value of seeing the flop with a small pair comes from the times when you hit your set. Your powerful hand is disguised quite well and you will usually get good action from players with top pair or two pair.

I was fortunate to flop quad deuces one evening. The pot had been raised to $10 and I was in the big blind. There were four players in the pot before me so I was getting about 4-1 on a call. Obviously, I'm not in the lead here. I may have the best hand, but I'm definitely not a favorite against 4 other hands. The value in the call is on the implied odds. If I hit my set (or quads in this case), I am very confident I can win a huge pot. That was exactly what happened. I could have not asked for a better flop. A-2-2. I saw one deuce in the window as the dealer put out the flop and then there was one more. I was almost certain at least one of the 4 players had and ace, so I checked. There was a bet and a call of $20 and of course, I called the $20 since I held the nuts. The turn was a blank. I checked again and the initial bettor went all in for about $35. The other player called along with myself. The river was yet another blank. I asked my opponent how much he had left. He had about $35 or $40, so I announced that I was all in. He called. I flipped up my hand and told the dealer that there was no need to worry about a side pot as I won it all.

No comments: