Thursday, January 25, 2007

Raise the size of the pot

One of the first things I learned by watching various poker TV shows was that a raise of 3 times the big blind was considered a standard opening raise. When I first started playing $1/$2 no limit consistently, my standard raise was $7. I even was known as "#7" to a few players at the tables as my raises were quite consistent. I recommend that you raise the same amount regardless of your hand. I'll raise the same with A-A, 10-10, A-K and even 2-7 (when I'm on a bluff attempt). Good players will quickly pick up on the trends of raising more or less depending on what your starting hand is. If you always raise 5 times the big blind with A-A but only raise 3 times the big blind with A-K, it will be very easy for your opponents to put you on a hand.

Another lesson I quickly learned from the TV shows was that a pot sized bet on the flop would generally win you the pot right there. Betting the size of the pot makes it mathematically incorrect for anyone to chase a draw. What I failed to put together early in my no limit playing was that you should raise the size of the pot after there are several limpers. Three times the big blind is only applicable when you are the first one to enter the pot. After someone else had limped in, you need to raise more to get people to fold. I made an amateur mistake with K-K on the button. There were about 5 limpers before me and I raised to $7. Both the small blind and big blind called (I don't blame them as they were getting a good price on their money). My raise only got one player out of the pot. The flop came Q-4-4. My opponent made a small bet at the pot and I raised. I quickly got reraised all in and I called. Of course my opponent in the big blind had a 4 in his hand and I shook my head in disgust. I simply didn't raise enough to protect my hand and to get the junk hands to fold. With 5 limpers ($10) plus the blinds ($3), I should have raised to at least $15--maybe as much as $20 to win the pot. Of course when you do this, you will see fewer flops with your big hands--but you won't lose with them as often either. As the saying goes for A-A--you either win a small pot with them or you lose a big one. After losing my stack with K-K that day, I always make it a point to raise about the size of the pot after there have been limpers.

No comments: