Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Check Stack Size

After a good run in Tunica, I headed back to the tables with some added confidence. I figured that I would be able to quickly get my bankroll back in the black, but I realized that I still had a lot to learn about no limit hold 'em. I was under the gun at a $1/$2 game and picked up A-Q. I made my standard opening raise of $7 and got two callers, one of which was the big blind. I was in the 1 seat and the big blind was in the 9 seat. I don't recall what the flop was other than I totally missed it. I had mastered the continuation bet and decided that a pot sized bet was in order at this point. I bet $22, I get one fold and then the big blind declares all-in. However, due to our seat assignments, I didn't realize that the big blind only had about $15 left. Of course, the big blind had flopped second pair and I didn't hit anything on the turn or the river.

My mistake was simple. I was more concerned about the other opponent who had about as many chips as I did. I wasn't able to see the 9 seat's chips so I assumed that he had an average stack and not a short stack. I also knew that the 9 seat usually doesn't bet flops unless he hit a piece of it, so the better play would be to check and fold if he bets all-in. The bottom line is this: when ever you are playing a no-limit or pot-limit game you should always be aware of your opponent's chip stacks. This can obviously make you play a hand in a different fashion than you normally would. A short stack can be a method of defense. If you're an aggressive player and you are trying to steal a pot, a small raise from a short stack will often get you to fold as you know that the short stack is now pot committed and will have to commit the rest of their chips. While it is pretty clear how one can go on the offensive with a big stack, don't forget that short stacks can play good defense as well.

No comments: