Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Big Tournament

A few months ago, I took a stab at a 4 figure buy in tournament. I was confident in my game and wanted to see how I fared against some better competition. I got off to a rocky start. I lost almost half of my chips in the first level. It wasn't due to bad play--I was just getting cold decked. I limped in the small blind with 9-2 off suit. My opponent flopped two pair and trapped me while I turned a lower two pair. I held A-2 in the small blind. My opponent on the button held A-Q and didn't raise the pot. We both make trip aces on the river and I lose the minimum.

I was struggling for chips when I picked up K-K in the second level. I raised and then got reraised. I raised again (of course, the third bet is always aces or kings) and got called in two spots. I didn't like that at all. The flop came jack high and action was checked to me. I moved all in and got called instantly by Q-Q. The kings held up and I was back in it. I picked up a couple more pots at that level and things were going well. In the third level, I raised with 7-7 and flopped an open end straight draw. My opponent led out and I raised with my pair and draw. My opponent called and then moved all in when an ace hit the turn. I had to fold and gave up a big pot.

For the next few levels, I was treading water. I really went card dead, but did manage to pick up a pot here and there. However, I proceeded to get short stacked. I was in the small blind with K-J and faced a minimum raise. I felt as if was dominated here, so I just folded the hand. I later picked up A-J and raised all in and won a pot pre-flop. I called a raise with 3-3 on the button. The flop came all clubs and my opponent led out. I probably should have reraised all in pre-flop, but that is hard to do with a small pair. I finally made a move by limping in and then reraising all in with 6-6. Of course, I ran into K-K and was out after surviving about 50% of the field.

If anything, that tournament taught me that I can hold my own against solid amatures and professionals. I was surprised that there was some extremely bad play in the early levels. While I'm not planning on playing bigger buy in events on a regular basis, I will certainly play one every now and then.

No comments: