Monday, May 14, 2007

Sick. So Sick.

I was off to another good session of $1/$2 no limit hold 'em action when this interesting hand came up. I'll explain the action and then explain my reasons for playing the hand the way I did. To set up the situation, I along with a hyper aggressive player are the only two big stacks at the table. This player was already stuck about $300 for the day and I was up about $75. To the surprise of nobody, the hyper aggressive put on the $5 straddle. I'm in middle position and pick up Ac-Kc. I limp into the pot after two other players limped. Two more players limp behind me and the straddle raises to $15. After two folds, I reraised to $40. I got one caller along with the straddler. The flop came 10c-6c-3c. I led out and bet $40 after the hyper aggressive player checked to me. I got the other player to fold as the straddle just called. The turn brought the Qd. The straddler checked and I checked behind him. The river brought the 3s. The straddler led out with a bet of $100 and I called with my flush. The straddler turned over the Q-3 for a full house.

If all you knew about the situation was the betting that occurred, it would appear that I misplayed my hand. However, based on my assessment of the situation, I think I played my hand to perfection and just got an unfortunate river card. Allow me to explain. Standard poker theory says that you want to raise and reraise with a suited A-K. However with the straddle on in this situation, I was very confident that the hyper aggressive player would defend his straddle with a raise. This player was raising about 5 times every orbit and I wanted to trap him for a big pot. Of course, I got what I wanted when he raised to $15. This action would most likely get out the junk hands, but I wanted to get heads up so I reraised to $40. I certainly could have reraised more, but I wanted action from the aggressive player. I also wanted to be able to fold my hand if I got reraised. After all, aggressive players do pick up real hands from time to time also.

I didn't expected to get called by the third player. In fact, the straddler might not even call my raise if there was not another $40 in the pot. I was not too concerned with this player as he only had about $35 left in his stack after calling the $40. I put him on a medium pair or maybe A-K also. When I flopped my nut flush I led out and bet it. Normally, this is a good spot for a check, but I wanted to set up the trap for the hyper aggressive player. I only bet $40 for two reasons. First, I wanted to commit the other player to the pot as he was short stacked. Second, making a small bet of $40 into a pot that had more than $150 appears weak. I wanted my opponent to think that I was on just a draw to the flush and didn't have it made already. I got the third player out and after a call we were now heads up. I was not too concerned with the Q on the turn. After my opponent checked, I checked also as I wanted him to think that I was taking off the free card for my flush draw. Some might argue that I should bet big right there, but I didn't want to lose my opponent. As long as a club did not hit the river I knew he would bet.

Well, a club didn't come on the river. I hated to see the board paired. I now no longer held the nuts and had a big decision to make. I got the big bet I wanted. However, I know that this player will make that bet with any kind of hand. I was expecting that bet as long as that club didn't hit the river. He even started to speak and said that I should fold as I missed my flush. I know that people usually don't speak unless they are very comfortable with their hand, but this player talks all of the time and a little verbal jab on the river doesn't mean much. After he spoke about my possible missed flush, I put my opponent on a flush which I certainly had beat. However, with the board paired, I couldn't reraise him as a full house was also a likely holding as this player plays almost any two cards at any time. I called and lost the pot. I was proud of my ability to manipulate my opponent into making a bad read on me. To my opponents credit, his reasoning behind his betting makes sense based on the story I was selling. He'll defend his straddle with anything, so there is no surprise that he wants to thin the field with his Q-3. I made a weak bet on the flop and he flopped a pair. He figured he was ahead against my draw so he called. He checked with he made two pair on the turn. I'm assuming he was going to call any bet I made or even raise me. He led out with a boat with a bet that looked like he was trying to buy the pot. He had purchased more than his fair share of pots during that session and I'm stuck calling off a big river bet with a second best hand.

Sometimes players get lucky. I know I could have protected my hand and played it differently. However flopping the nut flush does not happen too often and I was trying to get maximum value out of the hand--I'm 97% to win on the flop and 90% on the turn. I'll take those odds everyday.

No comments: