Monday, February 9, 2009

Close But No Cigar

I recently played one of the best Omaha 8/b tournaments I've ever played. I was definitely in the zone and I think that taking a bit of time off from poker helped. While I didn't win it (I came in 3rd), I was quite satisfied with my play and got a bit unlucky at the end. I held on to an above average chip stack for most of the tournament. I was picking up a few hands here and there and picking off some bluffs. I was fortunate to avoid being in desperation mode until I got to the final table.

The money bubble burst with two players being eliminated on the same hand which prevented us from playing hand for hand. With 10 players to go I was about 5th or 6th in chips and wanted to let some of the short stacks bust before making a big move. When we got down to the final table, I raised in the one hole with A-A-K-2 and doubled up a short stack. As players got eliminated, I carefully chose my spots to raise and took down enough pots to prevent losing a lot of chips. I was also beginning to slightly open up my starting hand range which is normally pretty selective. By the time we were down to 3 players, I was the short stack. I also had nothing to lose at that point. It was time to change gears.

I began to bet, raise and reraise much more liberally. The player in 2nd position was playing too tight for 3 handed in my opinion. By the time the chip leader knew what hit him, I held the chip lead and the original chip leader was in desperation mode. I 3 bet with A-2-3-K and ran into the short stack's A-A-8-9. The aces held for the high and I couldn't make my low. A few hands later I raised on the button with A-2-9-9 double suited (spades and clubs). I flopped a set of 9s and the nut low draw on a board of 9-8-4 with two hearts. Action was checked to me and I knew at least one of my opponents was going for the check raise as I had gotten very aggressive. I led out with the set and was raised. I promptly 3 bet and got called in both spots. I wasn't too thrilled about this as I didn't want to see a heart. The turn brought a deuce which was not the low card I wanted. I still held a set for high and I had a live ace to draw to for low. Action checked to me again and I bet and was called in both spots again. The river was the seven of hearts. All draws got home and I now had a live ace for the low. The last heart killed the action and I run into the nut low and a backdoor straight. Losing that big pot cost me the chip lead. However, I was not out of it yet.

After a raise of the blind levels, I had to make a move soon. I called on the button with 2-3-4-6 double suited (spades and diamonds). The flop brought A-9-K with two diamonds and one spade. My opponent and I checked the flop and the turn card brought the eight of spades. My opponent led out and I raised all in. My opponent tabled A-9-J-J. Top and bottom pair with a draw to a better two pair, set and boat. I win the high with any spade or diamond that doesn't pair the board (14 outs). I take the low with any 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. I'm about 40% to win the high and about 60% to make the low with one card to come. One of the poker odds calculators said I had about 58% equity in the pot with my monster draw. The river was a 9 and I missed everything and was out in 3rd.

I'm disappointed in my luck as I was the best player with 3 to go and the best or 2nd best of the final table. It hurts more when you get so close and don't finish the deal, but there is always a tournament tomorrow.

No comments: