Thursday, June 19, 2008

World Series of Poker

I decided to play the $1,500 Razz event at this year's WSOP. If you are a serious poker player, you should at a minimum attend the festivities. Even if you are not playing, there is plenty to do. I was not successful in cashing in the event despite a great Level 1 where I was among the chip leaders. I get back to around my starting stack level after getting coolered with a 7 low running into a 6 low. However, it was one interesting pot that I played that crippled me and I'm still trying to figure out my opponents logic on this one.

It is folded to me with only 1 or 2 wheel cards dead and I have a 3 up and there are 2 players between myself and the bring in. One player is showing a 10 and one is showing a 9. I make the standard completion with my and and get called by the 9. I have my opponent covered and he is somewhat shortstacked.

3RD STREET
Me: (Q-2)-3
Opponent: (x-x)-9

I think my play is automatic and I figured my opponent was defending with a rough 9 draw, a hand like 5-7-9 or 4-8-9. I don't think defending with a 9 is that bad of a play, but at that point in the tournament, I wouldn't want to play a big pot where I started with a rough 9.

4TH STREET
Me: (Q-2)-3-8
Opponent: (x-x)-9-3

I bet on 4th and get called. We both caught a good card. Because I got called, I didn't think the 3 paired my opponent. This further confirmed my read of a rough 9 draw. I figured I can easily represent an 8 low or take the pot away on 5th if we both catch bad. This is why I bet with my hand. If my opponent put me on an 8 draw, calling with a rough 9 draw is not a good play. However, my opponent might have thought that the 8 paired me.

5TH STREET
Me: (Q-2)-3-8-J
Opponent: (x-x)-9-3-J

This is actually a good card for me as nothing has changed from 4th street. I led out representing a made J-8 low and to my surprise I got called again by my opponent. I don't know if my opponent picked up a read on me, but I had not pulled off any moves like this the entire tournament. If my opponent was going with the read that I was paired, then the call is fine, but with very few dead wheel cards out, it would appear that I held two wheel cards in the hole.

6TH STREET
Me: (Q-2)-3-8-J-J
Opponent: (x-x)-9-3-J-Q

This is where it gets interesting. Again, nothing changes on 6th street as far as the hand strength goes. I'm still representing a made J-8 low and the best my opponent can make is a 9 low. Since I'm paired my opponent has the lead. He checks to me and I bet. Then, I get check-raised and my opponent is all in. I guess my opponent wanted to gamble, but putting in a raise there just doesn't make any sense, even if he can't make a full bet on 7th. I just don't understand the raise. If he is beat, he gets called instantly. If he waits until 7th to bet, he gets called if he is beat and the J-8 low that I was representing would also have to call. However, if he checks 7th, I would likely check behind him with the J-8 low I'm trying to represent and if he hand was no good, he would still have chips.

I took a while to make the call and it was obvious that I was paired or had a high card. He thought I was paired, but was surprised when I showed the Q-2 in the hole. Of course, my opponent had a made J-9 low and I had to improve my hand.

7TH STREET
Me: (Q-2)-3-8-J-J-(Q)
Opponent: (5-7)-9-3-J-Q-(J)

My opponent turned up his 7th street card first and showed the J. That was a good sign for me as I knew I was drawing live. I needed an A, 4, 5, 6 or a 7. I didn't like seeing a dead 5 and 7 in my opponent's hand and I recalled a dead ace from another player's upcard on 3rd. That is 17 outs (assuming all cards are live). I missed and hit a Q on 7th. My Q-J low lost to a J-9 low.

I don't think I played this hand in a poor fashion. I guess the only spot where I could have gotten away from it was on 4th street when we both caught good. I can check on 4th and fold to a bet. In hindsight, that is the safer play, but I'm still surprised by my opponent's play on 5th and 6th streets on this hand.

A few hands later, I get it all in with 5-6-7 against 2-4-8. I make an 8-7 low on 5th and my opponent (same guy) makes an 8-5 low on 7th. All in all, I was happy with my play. I know I can play with the best in the world and I hope to return to the WSOP in future years.

No comments: