Monday, March 19, 2007

Omaha 8/b Cash

I also took a stab at a big omaha 8/b tournament in early 2006. I quickly noticed that most players understood the fundamentals of the game, but still did not play it well. Around the second level of the tournament I picked up Ac-6c-3s-Jd in the small blind. This is a marginal hand, but with 6 limpers in front of me, it was worth seeing a flop. I flopped the nut flush draw with a back door low draw to go with it. I check called the flop. The turn killed any chance of a low and completed my flush. I checked with the nuts. I knew I had this hand won as long as the board did not pair on the river. It was bet and called by two players and then I made it two bets. I got one caller and then to my surprise, it was raised again. There was one caller before it got back to me and I capped the betting with everyone putting in 4 bets.

I was glad when the board didn't pair on the river. I led out with a bet and one player paid me off (that last bet put him all in). I was up against the 2nd nut flush and two sets. I scooped a huge pot at that stage in the tournament. I went card dead after that, picking up a small pot here and there. I rode that big stack for a while, but then blinds got high and I was getting somewhat short stacked. I got lucky to river a wheel late in the tournament when I really needed chips. We finally reached the money and I was glad that I had done well in this tournament. Long story short, I tried to steal on the button with K-K-J-2 and got called by two players and ended up going out shortly after the bubble burst. While it was not a big cash for me, it was a cash in a major tournament and it gave me confidence that I can hold my own in the big tournaments.

No comments: